Introductions - introduce yourself and your boat/s

The main forum. Feel free to discuss anything and everything boats

Moderators: lncc, arvin555

Introductions - introduce yourself and your boat/s

Postby pinoypiper » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:25 pm

Since this is essentially a new forum, I think it would only be proper to introduce ourselves (again) for the benefit of our new members.

I'll start off...

Hi my name is Roy, most people on this board just call me "Piper". i have been a homebuilt boataholic for more than two years. :P (sounds like a AAA meeting)

I got into boat building and sailing with the primary purpose of seeing the country. What better way of seeing a country with 7000+ islands than with a boat diba? To find out more about my boating story you can check out my boatbuilding and sailing blog

I built (with help from a friend) an 11 foot sailing dinghy from plans last year, the boat is a spindrift designed by Graham Byrnes of B&B Yacht designs. The Spindrift is my first boat, It was essentially built as a practice boat for boat boatbuilding and sailing, and is actually where I learned to sail.

My current boat is a Core Sound 17 also from B&B Yacht designs. this was started in late 2008 and was finished in 2011.
Attachments
Last edited by pinoypiper on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinoypiper
Commodore
Commodore

Postby teddy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:40 am

Hi fellow boatbuilders!

I'm Teddy and I built my first boat in 1999 which I named "sk8er" after my youngest daughter who was ice skating at that time. It's a Glen-L Roustabout 17 with a 115 Evinrude.
[Image Next came the Glen L Power Skiff 14 which is used as workboat at Agoncillo area of Taal Lake in 2000 Image then a Clark Craft Fast Twin 18, a catamaran sailboat named Twins after my eldest daughters who are - you guessed it - twins. The mast is made of two pieces of long yakal lumber (from Canada Lumber in Valenzuela) epoxied together and the sails (from bags supplies store in Juan Luna) and mechanical parts (from Gandara and Tetuan Sts) are locally fabricated - kanya accdg to the experts hindi siya as fast as it should be with aluminum mast and a real Dacron sail just like the Hobies in TLYC .

Currently working on a 23 ft Glen-L V-Dory, almost finished,Image just installing a used Mazda R2 diesel (from the B2200 pickup) as inline inboard.Image I found a Talim Island (Laguna de Bay) professional to install the engine and other mechanicals. Here is the
launch picture at Brgy Bolo-bolo, Pililla, Rizal.Image

Had lots of fun looking for boat building stuff in Metro Manila specially Binondo and and almost went crazy (in 1999) looking for laminating epoxy resin till I found Cord Chemical Inc , yes, right beside the National Mental Hospital in Mandaluyong.
Will upload pics next post.
p.s.
My real first boat was a 12 ft Mercury inflatable with a Mariner 30 hp - but it was bought not built ;)

And so it goes on .........

Glen-L Camper trailer with Power Skiff 14 on top Image

My sailing dinghy, a Clark Craft's Sprinter 14

Millcreek 16.5 kayak
Image Image

J.D. Wharram's Hitia 17

Tiki 31 (not yet launched) and its tender CLC Eastport Pram
Last edited by teddy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
teddy
Quarter Master
Quarter Master

Postby Biel » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:20 am

Welcome to the forum, Teddy!

Quite a number of us hang out at Taal Lake, we can all hook up next time in the future.

Mario
Biel
Admiral
Admiral

Postby pinoypiper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 am

Aha! Teddy. Welcome home our long lost home boat boat builder. :D

Some of us have been looking for you, You are actually the first Pinoy boat builder I saw on the net (from your posts on the Glen-l website) when i first got interested in boat building. I'm glad you finally found your way here, and you have built a sailboat as well.

oh yeah, we want to see more pictures :) :P

If you are free this weekend, some of us are going fishing in Caliraya or lake lumot. feel free to bring your skiff. :)

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers/Roy
pinoypiper
Commodore
Commodore

Postby maligno101 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:13 am

Welcome aboard Teddy!

I did see sk8ter in what used to be Mang Ver's place (a long time ago) which I recognized from your posting in the Glen-L website. Looking forward to meeting you but in the mean time do post photos of your build.
maligno101
Commodore
Commodore

Postby arvin555 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:25 am

Welcome Teddy, so you are the guy who most of the members were hoping to track down and get to join us. Great that you finally are with us!

Hey hey, please post a photo of your Catamaran "Twins" naman! Puro Powerboat yung na post mo :)

TTFN
Arvin
arvin555
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Postby teddy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:11 am

Roy,Mario,Arvin,and maligno101,
Many thanks for the warm welcome.
Sorry I cant find my Catamaran pics but since you also hang out at TLYC you can see it there last row from shore among the Hobies. SK8ER has moved from Mang Ver's place to the new resort after Meralco in Talisay. The new resort owner contructed a boat house (actually a garage) and a nice good ramp better than Mang Ver's or TLYC's ramps. The other reason why I dont have many pics of the Twins cat is I have sailed it only twice - wala kasi akong crew. Anybody wants to pilot, I can be the crew.
My Skiff is kept in Pililla Rizal (where I am also building the V-DORY) which is an hour away from Caliraya so Arvin, one of these weekends I will be joining you. I was at surf camp a month or so ago.
I have a brother in Cebu who is about to build Bateau C19, I'll ask him to join so he gets connected to the Cebu/Bohol/Leyte folks.
Cheers
Teddy
teddy
Quarter Master
Quarter Master

Postby Biel » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:45 am

Anybody wants to helm your cat?

Hobie sailor here raising his hands and feet!!!! :P 8) :lol:

Mario
Biel
Admiral
Admiral

Postby tatoski » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:28 am

I guess it is time to introduce myself since this is a new forum. Anyway here a few pictures of my boats:

The Vagabond plus just after launching

During the round the volcano race at Talisay

In front of my house (carport) during the build

My minimost (Svensons free plans - 8 footer flea) 10 hp O/B

If you guys want to see my thread about building the Vagabond plus sailboat you may revert back to the old forum and see Tato's Vagabond 20+. Sorry I don't know how to link. Gurus maybe you can provide the link. Thanks

This was my post around October last year in the old forum. I just cut and pasted this here from the old forum.

Hello to fellow boatbuilders,

I am Renato Bautista, I am a home boatbuilder of S&G boats. Let me share to you my experience.

I am building boats in my garage in my house at Antipolo and farm in Sto. Tomas Batangas. Together with my brother, we have built 5 plywood boats. A D4 dinghy (8 foot sailboat/rowboat/power), Summerbreeze, an 11 foot boat for sail, power or row, Minimost, an 8 foot speedboat of flea category, Weekender, a 16 foot sailboat from stevensons and currently on going is a 20 foot sailboat from Bateau- Vagabond+. We sail at Talisay and go to Caliraya for power boating.

Starting with the D4, knowing nothing about materials used for S&G but raring to go and build our first boat, it ended in disaster. The seams did not hold, the resin did not cure, We gave up on it and moved out of the garage. Left to the elements it disintegrated. The problem was we used the wrong type of polyester and second, we used the wrong type of resin by not using epoxy. Third we used the wrong weight of FG cloth. This happened around 2001 when the boatbuilding bug bit us.

The Summerbreeze and Minimost were built using S&G technology. Though the Minimost plans call for plywood on sawn frames and stringers for joints, we modified the build to incorporate S&G. The Minimost is powered by a 2nd hand 10 hp Yamaha short shaft outboard. It's built around 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood and 3/4 ply for transom.

The Weekender was built according to plans using wood glue (weldwood/perstop kind) and stainless steel woodscrews. We used polyester resin and fg cloth for surface protection of the bottom and sides. We followed the plans in building the sails out of polytarp and duct tape but did not last long. The duct taped seams did not hold even to moderate winds.

I am currently building Vagabond from Bateau and hopefully will be sailable by November orf 2006. The hull is completed and standing rigging is soon to be finished. This is a true S&G boat and a true composite. I use Sta. Clara plywood mostly 6 mm and 10 mm and used 200 gm/sm woven cloth from Polymer and CYO epoxy (wood laminating epoxy) from Republic chemicals (Pioneer). To simulate the biax tapes that are not available here, I cut the cloth 45 degrees to the weave. I apply double or triple to match the weigth called for in the plans. Cutting it in 45 bias not only strengthens the tape but makes the cloth hang on the curves. I butt joint my panels and never bothered to scarf joint. I also use Sta Clara plywood (twice as costly) since the plies are harder and voids are rare. I believe the extra expense is justified since the plywood cost is only a fraction of the total cost of the finished boat. For painting, I used epoxy enamel as first coat and for finishing coats, enamel paint. Paints are roller brush applied and sometimes brush applied.

We are currently doing the sails out of Super Sacolene ( P 75/yard x 8' ft width) using a sailmaker's handbook borrowed from a friend. Sailmaking is a tedious, time consuming task if done right. Designing, layouting, machine sawing, finishing the sails makes sailmaking an entirely different experience!

The blocks and other hardware like cleats are fabricated and one item I need to buy are cam cleats or clam cleats. Anybody here who has spare cam cleats?

Building in plywood using S&G has made boatbuilding fast and within the reach of everybody technically speaking. It is rewarding and enjoyable. Ingat lang ng kaunti when using epoxy. It will eventually cause allergies if exposed too much to it.

Congratulations and thank you to the people who set this site up. This is truly a venue where we can exchange ideas and learn from one another.
tatoski
Commodore
Commodore

Postby maligno101 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 am

Following Tatoski's lead, I'm recycling my intro from the Freeboards site:

Started building my first boat in 1976 and launched her the following year. As there was no web to speak of then and our computers were apples that couldn't draw oranges, the only way I could build it was by designing it myself. It wasn't the prettiest boat in the water but we cut our sailing teeth in it; it took us to gunkholes and it was generally loads of fun.

And then I built a second one. Since I again designed it myself, neither did this power dinghy win any award in the beauty contest. But I learned even more about boatbuilding and we caught a lot of fish in it. This was when I began thinking there must be a better way.

Thanks to an old Popular Mechanics Magazine which featured a full set of plans, the third one looked more like a boat should. But this was in the mid-'80s and the bottom fell off the country and took everything with it. So for a very long time the red boat was THE boat.

And then all of a sudden it was the new Millennium and with the boys grown up the Red Boat couldn't fit all of us anymore so it was time to build again. And also there's the web and boatbuilding has become much easier. Best of all I had real plans for a Glen-L Zip. Of course not being one to let well enough alone I modified them to my satisfaction. It's all here:
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard6/pic372a.html

Good things come in pairs: before I was done with the powerboat I started on the Stevenson Weekender. This is my first cabin boat and my progress is chronicled here: http://groups.msn.com/WeekenderBoatbuildin...sweekender.msnw I have changed the plans around a bit (okay a lot) to suit my style. Then again, isn't that why we build our own boats?

And how was it building two boats at the same time? Is that a question? Meantime I have four other boat plans....

Intro Update:

Since then the Weekender has been launched and christened B'lisss.

Arvin, me and Eric at the helm at the 2007 FBW.

Of course a homebuilt boat is always a work in progress (I just finished a new longer tiller) so I will be posting them as they happen in the Maligno's Weekender thread. Meantime, I still have those other plans....

maligno101
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Biel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Been sailing since the year 2000. Prior to that, rode on Hobie 14s in Anilao, Batangas, took the sailing course at TLYC on Topper boats, jumped to and used Hobie 16s, then for two and a half years used a Hobie 18, which is still at TLYC. Now being in my late 40s and wanting to do brainless, real laid back sailing, I decided to build this year an Argie 10 dinghy.
[img]

Presently the hull is done:
[/img]

I sure have learned a lot so far about boatbuilding per se.

After this, am hoping to build the Argie 15, a 4.7 meter sailboat for coastal cruising:
[img]

And a 12 foot long two man race boat, which will look something like this:
[/img]

Mario

P.S.
How come I can't post photos here? AYUDA ME!![/img]
Biel
Admiral
Admiral

Postby arvin555 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Hello I am Arvin based in Mandaluyong. I own and sail a production boat, but no home built boat yet, aside from maybe my RC sailboat collection.

I have promised that I will build a Kalayaan and I am interested in building a summerbreeze as well. Unfortunately haven't really found time to start building. Learning a lot from the group though and also try my best to help out as much as I can during FBWs and Messabouts. :)

Oh and that is me in Tato's photo of his VG at Taal during the round the volcano race. I am on the smaller red boat wearing a yellow shirt! :)

That is also me on Maligno's Weekender photo with the camo hat shifting weight after a tack, take note of the grin which never went away the whole time we were sailing on the weekender, as well as while sailing Kuton's summerbreeze. :)

TTFN
Arvin
arvin555
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Dan's Introduction

Postby dan0 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:17 am

Hi, I am Daniel (Dan) living in Legazpi City, Albay. I found the old site on 7 July, 07, and joined immediately. The membership has been very helpful.

About me: I am most recently from the Texas coast. I have been in Legazpi
since October, 2005. I am married to a Legazpi Native who I met on the Net. I have inherited her 4 children and have 3 of my own in the U.S. (all grown).
My first two boats were used outboard powered runabouts used for fishing and skiing. Both were plywood and rebuilt not built by a brother-in-law and me. We glassed the second boat and used it for about 10 yrs. Our favorite fishing trips required launching through the surf to cut our travel time from an hour to 5 minutes. If you have not tried surf launching, let me tell you, "timing is critical" . I nearly died once! My sister-in-law got wet and almost beat me to death since I was the helmsman on this particular trip.

My first sailboat ride was in 1980 on a Cal 25. I was hooked right away.
I took a basic sailing class offered by the American Red Cross. Phantoms were used for practice with 2 students per boat. I bought a similar boat and sailed it on a river for a few months. Then I found a Venture 22' within my price range. I sailed this one on the Chesapeake Bay for a few years, Chartered larger boats in the Caribbean (40') and Turkey (36'). I then sold the 22' and bought a 30' Bayliner Buccaneer, which I also sailed on the Chesapeake for 12 yrs. (talk about a Hole in the water). I sold this one when I retired and moved to Texas. My most recent boat was an Irwin 37 center cockpit. A project boat. I sailed her to a marina were I lived aboard while cleaning and looking for a replacement for the auxiliary engine. I sold this one after I came to the Philippines. Although not a lot, this is the first boat I ever made money on.

I paid my college tuition by working as a layout assistant and ship-fitter in a shipyard. While there we built 5 Navy supply ships, several ferryboats for the state of Washington and 17 Landing ship tanks (LSTs). None of these sank :D , Although I once dreamed that one :shock: had.

I am now looking forward to teaching my inherited children to build and sail.
Last edited by dan0 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The More you know, the more you know you don't know.
dan0
Bosun's Mate
Bosun's Mate

Postby lncc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 pm

From the old forum, March 10, 2006:

This forum was started by Arvin a few months (?) back. I don't remember exactly how but he found me bugging other builders on other forums and invited me here. Thinking there was a "party" going-on I came over only to find Arvin and I were the only ones there.

Well, it seems it is really getting to be a party. Rolly, who as far as I know fits the title of the "grand old man", being on his 5th build already, told me there are other builders out there. Hopefully, if only be word of mouth, they too will find their way here.

I myself am a newbie to all of this CRAZINESS. I've been a builder all my life but a builder of other things. I am glad I am bulding a boat now. This first boat I am building is a 13' sloop using stitch-n'-glue. So far so good, although I must say, all the new terminology has left me stumped if not totally confused at times. I hope to finish this within 4 to 5 weekends from now ... realistically it will probably be 8 more weekends.

My next build will be a 15' plywood-on-frame. You may ask, "what do you need another boat for?" The answer is simple .. to learn and have FUN building it. This is all part of a grand scheme to retire to a boat that I will build and spend my twilight years fishing.

Funny feeling looking back. Well, it is now 17 months later and I still have not really finished the CR13 and the plans just keep piling up. I am nearly finished with the first Muskoka, though the panels for the 2nd one are still waiting to be stitched. A power boat will most likely be next. Afterwards, though plans do change, I will probably build either an Newfoundland Trap Skiff or the VG20, or maybe another canoe, or maybe a kayak ... oh well we'll all just have to wait and see.
lncc
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

My introduction

Postby diegoc777 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi, my name is Diego.

I bumped into this site while bidding for an unfinished boat at eBay.

I never encountered this site before when my energies were 100% for boats..

Anyway, I want to join this group to be my boats running again.
They've been sitting around the province for sometime.

Since I've never taken my boat anywhere else than Subic, I would like to see new places to explore & new people to meet!

Thanks,
Diego
diegoc777
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

Next

Return to Online Messabout