W17 Trimaran

Elements and experiments in boat design

Moderators: lncc, kuton, Sqworks

W17 Trimaran

Postby David » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am

Hi
I am considering building the W17 Trimaran and seeing that several of you have already built and or sailed this boat, I was hoping to get some feedback on what you liked, didn't like, ease of construction, overall performance, ease of set up, overall dryness of the ride. I am located in Scarborough, Maine USA so our water is just slightly colder then yours, in fact our fresh water lakes a little hard (aka frozen) this time of year. In this area we do not see a lot of trimarans but they are starting to show up more and more. There are several Farriers and you see the occasional windrider.

I am a long time monohull sailor (51 years) staring sailing as a kid sailing/owning boats from 8 ft to 28 ft, my current boat is a 21 ft double ender (4000 lbs). I have also crewed on boats as big as 50 ft. The W17 is not intended to replace those bigger boats but to get me on the water with the family, wife and 2 small kids. With the small kids, time on the water is limited and doesn't justify a larger boat.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
David
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

Re: W17 Trimaran

Postby arvin555 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I have no first hand experience with W17 so I leave it to those who have built them and sailed them, I just wanted to welcome you to PHBYC! :mrgreen:

TTFN
Arvin
arvin555
Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Postby David » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks Arvin. You seem to have a funand active group here. I don't think I'll be able to make the Christmas Party year though :(
David
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

Postby Daniel B. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:45 am

David, I get it. I'm from Oregon. Grew up sailing in cold water. I am currently building a woodsdesign strike 18. It offers a little more protection from the elements. They have been made with no windscreen to full cabs. you just have to make a choice on how much protction you want. The downfall is that it is more boat to lug around. I must say, that I do like the lines of the w17. might take a look at it. sailingcatamarans.com
Daniel B.
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Postby oldone1942 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:12 am

[quote="David"]Hi
I am considering building the W17 Trimaran
[quote="David"]

David I purchaced plans for the W17 but have became interested in building a John Marpels 24' Seaclipper (several sizes including a 16' that I'm sure can be stretched to 17' in needed) John and Jin Brown designed and marketed the Seaclipper, I advise looking at them before making your purchase. Also if you decide to stick with the W17, if you like we could do a deal on the W17 plans with the designers permission.
Let me know when you decide, and good luck.
DWDuncan
PM me.
oldone1942
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

Postby linwood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Slingshot trimarans by Frank Smoot designs, builds and sails them look for Him on Facebook lives in Florida maybe not active now after the hurricane
linwood
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Return to Boat Design